Mark R. Horton
Phone: 575.887.3528/1.800.748.2374 | Fax: 575.887.2136
In addition to civil and family law experience, Mark has over 14 years experience in criminal defense, representing clients with charges ranging from misdemeanor traffic offenses to capital murder and other serious felonies. Mark was Managing Attorney at the Carlsbad Public Defender for five years—until June 2012—serving the community of Eddy County in the courts of Artesia and Carlsbad. He came to Carlsbad in 2007 for a death penalty trial, having worked in the Public Defender’s statewide Capital Crimes Unit since 2003. He worked in the Albuquerque Felony Unit from 2000 to 2003. He first went to work as a full time Assistant Public Defender in the Ninth District (Clovis/Portales) office, from 1997-2000, and prior to that worked as a contract attorney handling juvenile cases in Albuquerque. After graduating law school in 1995, he opened his own practice in Albuquerque handling wills, family law and civil matters, and continued that practice in association with a law firm in Santa Fe until beginning criminal defense work for the New Mexico Public Defender Department.
Mark grew up in Albuquerque’s South Valley, joined the Marine Corps at age 17, where he was served in California, Okinawa, The Philippines, North Carolina, and on two Mediterranean assignments. He went on to earn his bachelor’s and graduate degrees in Albuquerque, Washington, D.C. , and College Park, Maryland. He worked as support staff for various law offices and in other jobs throughout the time he attended school, and went on to earn his J.D. at the University of New Mexico, School of Law in 1995.
Mark and his wife Linda and their two children are involved members of St. Edward Catholic Church in Carlsbad since 2007. Mark is a member of the Knights of Columbus in Carlsbad. Mark’s son is an engineer residing in Oregon and working in Ireland. Mark is committed to our community’s future, and to working with the law firm of Martin, Dugan and Martin, to serve the legal needs of the people of Southeastern New Mexico with confidence, creativity, and professionalism.
· New Mexico, 1995
· University of New Mexico School of Law, J.D., 1995
· University of Maryland, M.A., 1992
· Catholic University of America, M.A., 1988
· University of New Mexico, B.A., 1982
Associations and Memberships
· National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
· New Mexico Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
· Carlsbad Public Defender (serving Artesia and Carlsbad), Managing Attorney, 2007 – 2012
· 2011-2012, Instructor, Citizen Police Academy, “The Role of the Defense and Public Defenders in the American Justice System,” sponsored by Carlsbad Police Department
· Knights of Columbus, Blessed Trinity Council, since 2007
· 14 years service with the Public Defender, representing clients throughout New Mexico
· NCDC (National Criminal Defense College), Macon, Georgia, 2000
· Staff Member, New Mexico Law Review, 1994-95
· Administrator, NITA (National Institute for Trial Advocacy) program UNM Law School, 1994
· Administrator, Caesarea Maritima (Kibbutz Sdot Yam), Israel—archaeological dig, 1989
· United States Marine Corps, 1974-1978, Honorable Discharge